Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Parenting with Purpose


At first I felt super overwhelmed with the thought of having to write an all encompassing mission statement for my future family but as I learned it should be a live document that should be change and altered with time, circumstances and needs, I began to understand why beginning one now is so important. If we are to be intentional parents we need to provide our children with a vision. I don't want good things to happen by chance, I want to make decisions on how to raise our family with a purpose in mind.

It is like the conversation Alice in Wonderland had when speaking with the Cheshire Cat.

Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
Cheshire Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Alice: I don't much care where.
Cheshire Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.

If you don't know where you are going or want to go then it doesn't really matter where you end up. I want to have a direct influence on who my children become and teach them the things that will prepare them for the lives that lay ahead of them because that is my God given responsibility and duty.

Now I know that I do not know everything or anything about parenting but I do know how I was raised and I see both the good and the bad, the things I want to continue and the things that I will leave out of my own parenting. That is the beauty of life, we are in control of what we want to become, the decisions we will make and the lives we will influence because of who we are. We have the potential to grow and develop, exercise our agency and learn from our mistakes.

Here's to learning more about becoming the parent I want to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment