Thursday, February 11, 2010

Nature v. Nurture

The nature versus nurture debates concerns the importance of an individual's innate qualities versus personal experiences in determining or causing individual differences in physical and behavioral traits.

As we discussed in class, it is not one or the other it is a mix of both our nature, biological traits, and our nurture, or environmental influence, that make us who we are. We are each born with innate temperaments and personalities that are carried throughout life but they also change and shift because of outside influences as well as during times of development transitions.

In class we talked about the other influences that science fails to look at such as the influence of Heavenly Father, Agency, Spiritual Identity and Satan.

I gratefeul to know that I am a Child of God, that my spirit is eternal and that I have had the gifts, talents that I do now since before I was born, and that we each have the light of Christ to help us know what is right.

I know that I am blessed with a Heavenly Father who touches my life in so many ways every day. I am influenced and taught by the divine intervention that comes into my life. The Lord's hand is apparent in everything I do.

We have the ability to change who we are, our very natures through Christ because of our agency, spiritual identity and the ability to shun the adversary. We change our behavior through faith in Christ and repentance. The sanctifying influence of the Spirit of God can change our natures or our personalities so that we become “a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord.” (Mosiah 3:19)

As ur love and understanding of these things increase, Satan's influence in the home will be diminished. Heavenly Father asks us to live close to Him and keep His commandments so we can recognize and resist Satan's influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment